I'm writing in English, which is strange in itself since I really love my own language, Finnish, and since I detest the power position that the English language has in global communucation... but I'd get way too many complaints from American friends if I didn't write in a language comprehensible to them.

Mar 25, 2010

News


Everybody knows this feeling: getting tired after reading (or watching or listening to) news. Just now I would like to move to another universe.

Today in Helsingin Sanomat, good news: the two grandmothers won't be sent back to Egypt and Russia respectively, since the police is expecting the laws in the matter to change. The sad parts: According to Finnish law, grandparents don't belong to the near family. Therefore they can't be brought to or stay in the country (Finland) where the family lives. The concept of family will not be changed in the law but the humane factors will be emphasized so that the courts will have more room to maneuver. Also sad: Many Finns are worried about all the grandparents who might now flock to Finland to use our health care. Inhumane attitude in my mind.

Neutral news: The asylum seekers coming from other EU countries will be swiftly shown the door according to new law. Good side: hopefully there will be more chances to help those who actually need help. Sad part: Not everyone everywhere in EU have humane living conditions. Check out the situation of the Roma people in Romania, for instance.

Made me very tired: The Internet version of Helsingin Sanomat shows all the recent news as a long list where I normally scan for interesting stuff. Unfortunately, about a third (!) of these news concern sports. Please, dear Helsingin Sanomat web page designers, could I check my news somehow without that? Also, the comments under the news are so xenophobic that they make me sad. Could you hide them somehow?

1 comment:

  1. Isoäitiysasiassa vois jotkut miettiä miltä itsestä tuntuisi vastaavassa tilanteessa. Yksikin tapaus on iso asia.

    Ne kommentit on kyllä ihan uskomattomia. Mua alkaa nykyään kyllä naurattaamaan aika monet kun niitä on jo niin pitkään seurannu. Siis pakkoseurannu.

    ReplyDelete