I'm writing in English, which is strange in itself since I really love my own language, Finnish, and since I detest the power position that the English language has in global communucation... but I'd get way too many complaints from American friends if I didn't write in a language comprehensible to them.

Jun 25, 2010

Under the North Star

I've mentioned many times I love my country... as it is. But I think it's funny too in some way, especially the national emotions of shame and melancholy.

Here's something for Midsummer Eve. Kari Tapio singing "Here under the North Star" - old guy, well-known song. Original melody is Italian, but this tells about Finns. My favourite lines:

"On täällä elämä raskasta työtä, ja siinä harvoin on onni myötä. Sen tietää vain yksin suomalainen." Translated: "Life here is heavy work and fortune rarely follows you. Only a Finn will know this."



Here's the youtube version, sorry about not fitting youtube videos in my blog...

2 comments:

  1. Do any other immigrants experience the same phenomenon that Tuittu is experiencing here: nostalgia for things you hated in when you lived in your home country? In Finland she would never have been caught dead listening to this type of music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D Koti-ikävä voi ajaa kuuntelemaan mitä hienointa musiikkia. Mahdollista synnytyssalimusiikkia?

    ReplyDelete