I'm writing in English, which is strange in itself since I really love my own language, Finnish, and since I detest the power position that the English language has in global communucation... but I'd get way too many complaints from American friends if I didn't write in a language comprehensible to them.

Apr 13, 2010

Homesickness

... where does it come from?

A friend of mine has lived nearly 15 years in America and just recently posted a status on facebook saying that she's homesick. Homesick for what? Finland.

I just got a horrible bout of homesickness - I'm extremely happy and excited for my husband who got a tenure track in upstate New York, but I'm wondering if that means we won't ever move back to Finland. Or at least not before getting retired. That would mean that I should somehow get used to the idea that I'm not living in the US only for a couple of years, but that this is my home. As I noticed in my friend's status, it's not easy to do for all of us.

Some enjoy it in a different country. I think it might be a question about embracing versus resistance. Unfortunately, it's not as easy as to say "OK, I won't resist, I'll embrace in stead" - if you're in the resistance mode your mind will resist that though!

My strategy so far has been (hate to admit this) to think that it's temporary - that maybe in some years we could move back to Europe at least. That would be closer and more familiar. And I don't only mean closer to family and old friends, although of course I miss them. I miss the familiar culture even more, strange to say. And the familiar geography and all that.

Most Finns wouldn't even consider moving to another country. We love ours. Some love to move and adopt a new culture, but I'd say they are in a minority. Once I got a fantastic glimpse into another culture's love for the country. I was in Minneapolis, talking with a really nice Somalian man (co-worker) about homesickness. I thought he'd understand and so I asked: Do you miss Somalia? He said: Yes. I think about it every day. But I can't go back.

We all know why Somalians can't go back: death and destruction, no functioning government. Imagine if scores and scores of Finland-loving people had to move out because we had a civil war or some other disaster. Imagine if you couldn't go back.

5 comments:

  1. "Some love to move and adopt a new culture, but I'd say they are in a minority."

    There are plenty of those people, but they left. They're already here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course! Although have to say that emigration before 1960 had different reasons than now. Finland was a relatively poor country. Lots and lots of people moved to Sweden (still probably in the 60's and 70's) after a better life, and many moved to the US, including my grandfather's father and his brothers.

    I don't know if it's comparable though. Did they love to move? How well did they adopt the new culture? How many didn't even learn Swedish or English?

    After Finland became a "wellfare state" (whatever that means) the moving hasn't been so intense. Still people move. But those are in definite minority.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John Ogbu categorized voluntary minorities vs. involuntary minorities, though situations are much more complex and this dichotomy does not speak much anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am here since the man of my dreams is here. But it has never been easy. If I had to choose all over again, I would still pick my husband over Finland. I dream of finding a job from there but as time passes it seems to become more certain that this is the place where I will raise my children and live until retirement. When I go back "home" I miss things and people from here and when I am here I miss "home". After 15 years it feels like I am a woman without a country or if I am being positive I can claim two countries. Hang in there Tuittu!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello, i found your blog through wanjiru's facebook i think. i really relate this post and i enjoyed the other ones too. you have a great way of saying things! i'm from europe too and living in the us. i have these feelings too. i hope you feel a bit better soon although i know these things come and go.

    ReplyDelete